16 January 2018

Weekend Plus Monday Sewing

Had a productive weekend with my sewing.

I looked through my large stack of 5 inch squares that came with a few new boxes of fabric that was my mom's (and her sister's who has left this mortal coil). I picked 12 * 4 and made four objects that will become placemats. This is not a UFO. These are NEW!

I made 4 Christmas/Winter placemats last month and I have so enjoyed looking at them that I know we need some more but with a different theme.

I added up the selvage blocks that I have been making and I now have over 55+ 10.5 inch blocks that will finish at 10 inches. Ooo, that's a lot. Spent some time last week figuring out how to complete them into a quilt and decided to go in a Quilt-As-You-Go style. I was thinking about just a solid 10.5 square of fabric for the backs and decided... Nah! Not good enough.

Saw the ModaBakeShop pattern Labryinth quilt and decided to biggie size the block to get the right size for me. That means making an 11 inch square that cut in half and sewn back together is 10.5 inches.

So that would be a 3.5 x 11 inch color strip, a 1.5 x 11  inch white strip, a 3 x 11 inch color string,a 1.5 x 11  inch white strip, and a 3.5 x 11 inch color strip.

I have to be really careful cutting the white strips so I can get 4 across the width of fabric but so far, so good! By cutting the strings to size, it sure cuts down on the later sub-cutting and I can get more scrappy.

I created about 10 of the completed blocks this weekend! Yay me!

I am rising in the Queen ranks for the UFO challenge so I also trimmed a baby quilt in preparation to applying the already created binding that I have sitting beside my machine. I am mentally preparing the label also and will probably leave an area empty on the label as I don't know who will be the recipient of it yet. It's my 5-inch Disappearing Four Patch quilt.

So lots was done this weekend. It also helped that I had Monday off too!

No comments:

Post a Comment