17 May 2017

Potato Covering

I had a lot of fun this weekend creating a cover for our pototos that sit on a wire rack.

I brought my upholstery skills to bear in creating it. I used a piece of denim that was about 4 inches or so wider and longer than the shelf and then cut the holes for the legs and sewed down the flaps of denim. I then added rectangles of denim to the front and back at the same width and then larger (by about 3-4") on the sides to extend it almost to the floor. I top-stitched where I added the additional fabric.

Then I created a  TON of binding in a cute red and white using just full lengths of fabric, about 6 lengths of 2.5" cuts and bound all the edges. It turned out GREAT!

This was brand new denim that someone gifted me a long time ago. So all of it was made from my STASH! That's a big win. Took me most of Saturday to make it but I love the results.

O! I forgot to add that I made this with my Singer Featherweight. Sewed like a champ through the thick layers of the denim. Even the top-stitching through two layers of denim went together easy-peasy!

View from the back


View from the side

View from the front

A view of the potatoes!

Mini #4 is completely together and I am thinking about how I want to quilt it.

Mini #2 is still being pieced. I changed machines and now my scant quarter-inch is even scant-er. So my new blocks need to be trimmed down. Humm...

I had an issue with my Janome 9000.  I was sewing along when the needle fell out and jammed in the bobbin case. Now the machine makes a weird noise when the bobbin turns and I may need to get a new one. I do have an extra; I just need to find it.

So now I am using my Singer 221 Featherweight. I also got out my new hand-made wooden surround for it that I purchased at the February MAQF. So lovely. That's the next picture I need to take -- to show you my set up.

Mini #3 has more pieces per block and is also suffering from the change in machines. It is making me crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment